Sunday 15 December 2013

The English Students on Holiday in Pangandaran

My new Indonesian friend, Kurnia, said he would take me to the market to get some new flip flops to replace the broken ones, abandoned in Jakarta. On the way there, he announced that he had to go by his surf school on the beach to see if there are any clients about. No new students, just Matius, a Danish guy who has been surfing in Pangandaran for a month already and a couple of local Indonesian guys. I don't really understand the conversation but I get the impression it is about me. I am then asked if I would mind going to spend some time with some Indonesian high school students who are on a weekend trip to Pangandaran with 'English Club' and the want to practise their English with a native speaker. They are gathered just down the road. I had nothing planned for that day other than flip flop shopping, a swim and lots of hammock time so, of course I agreed. Matius has spent the pervious morning with them and tells me that it is great fun.
After I quick trip to the market to purchase some bright orange flip flops, I am dropped at the park where all the students are gathered. They are sat in groups of 10 to 15 students and there are at least 8 groups. I feel as if all eyes are in me. I also feel slightly in appropriately dressed as I am dressed for the beach and not for meeting a hundred or so, very modestly dressed, Muslim, 14 to 16 year olds. I head over to the first group and join their circle on the grass. There are lots of smiling faces and nervous giggles and it feels very alien that it is my presence causing this excitement and I also feel very uncomfortable being the centre of attention.

I am not sure how this is supposed to work so I introduce myself and start asking the group questions. They have only been learning English for a year and are actually very good but some of the vocabulary I use naturally draws some blank faces. It soon becomes evident that they have prepared lots of questions for me and so my interrogation begins. The more confident students going first, my answers are met with huge wonderful smiles. The more nervous students are looking at their notes but lack the confidence to actually read the questions out. I find it so strange that my presence could have that effect on anyone, but I do identify with what they are feeling and so I am really patient and try to encourage them without adding to the pressure. Eventually the last question... 'Please may we have a photograph with you' and I have never felt so popular as everyone wants to stand next to me. Then lots of indervidual photos, every one has a camera phone. Some students ask for my twitter and then some ask for my autograph in their English note books. This experience is getting more surreal.
I think I am done, but then I am told that the next group is waiting for me and so it dawns on me that I am to work my way around all the the groups. The pattern with each group is the same, lots of questions followed by nervouse requests for photographs and autographs. I must be looking fatigued as two students bring me some juice. The questions start with the basics, what is my name, where am I from etc. Every time I say I am from England the answer is met with great approval. Only one group ask my age, and when I ask the girl to guess, she says 20 which makes me very happy. Other questions are about my hobbies, whether I can sing and what music I like. One Direction and Taylor Swift seem to be popular amongst Indonesian teenagers, no different to in England. Some of the older students mention bands like Coldplay and Red Hot Chilli Peppers too. Then there are questions about my trip, where I have been, am I on holiday or working, who am I travelling with, if I like Indonesia, what Indonesian food l like, why I chose to come to Pangandaran, what do I think of Indonesian people and what are the differences between Indonesian and English culture.
When things are winding down with the last group there are more photo requests. Then the teachers arrive and they too want endless photos too, in fact they are worse than the students, putting their arms around me and laughing at my height. Then we all gather for one huge group photo but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work on my camera. Then eventually I am able to make my excuses and leave and walk away to a huge chorus of 'bye' and hundreds of waving hands.
All in all a unique and wonderful experience.