Friday 19 December 2014

Life

Moving to New Zealand

In April 2014, after 11 months of travel, I landed back in England with a bump. My plan was to get a job as quickly as possible to start replenishing my savings that had been depleted, on my 23 country, trip round the world. I had thought the hardest part of taking a year off to travel was making the decision to go, on reflection I realise that the hardest part is having the adventure end.

To cut a long story short, whilst we were in the process of job hunting in England, Michael got offered a role on the other side of the world in Wellington, New Zealand. A brief period of soul searching, deliberation and visa research ensued and then the decision was made to move to New Zealand. Three months on, Michael’s contract was extended and we signed up to stay for an additional 12 months. Once living in Wellington and having recovered from the jet lag, I found a job which enabled me to pay my way and start building up the savings again. It is slightly unsettling not knowing what is going to happen beyond November, will we be still in New Zealand or back in England or somewhere in-between. It is hard having this decision taken out of your hands but we keep reminding ourselves that life here is pretty good and to just live in the moment.  


Wellington Life

New Zealand’s population only  4.5 million compared to 64 million in the UK. In Wellington there are 400,000 people compared to 13 million in London. This means that there are approximately 3 times more people packed into London than in this entire country. And what’s more, New Zealand is slightly bigger that Great Britain!!! This means that there are only 14 people per square kilometre here compared to 240 in the UK. What I am trying to say is that there is a lot of space here and not many people, and it turns out that I like space. This means; bigger houses and more space, quieter roads and fewer crowds.

Home Life

I miss having my own garden a lot but I am missing having my own place less than I thought I would. In fact it has been rather liberating. We have very few possessions here and are working hard at keeping it that way. I guess we are paying a little more rent that I would like to but the advantage is the place is fully furnished in an excellent location. 

 In New Zealand you pay rent weekly rather than monthly like in the UK. And we also get paid weekly or bi-weekly which is an added bonus. Our little house is perched on the side of a hill in Worcer Bay on the Miramar Peninsular. There is a beach at the bottom of the hill and we overlook Wellington Harbour so we regularly wave to the InterIslanders as the chug by. The Beach itself has a little life saving Club on it and there are often children kayaking and sailing. It is a pretty idyllic place to live and only a 15 minute drive from the city centre


Work life

I don’t miss my commute to London on an overcrowded train, which on too many occasions was delayed, and being funnelled onto a hot and smelly tube system, having to navigate through thousands of people who were in too much of a rush, speeding in every imaginable direction, often dragging cases behind them which were specifically designed to trip me up!

By contrast, in Wellington, I have a gentle 2 minutes stroll down to my bus stop by the beach, where I wait for my bus (which has been late a total of 2 times in 9 months, and that was only by a maximum of six minutes) I get to watch the dogs getting their early morning walk and open water swimmers and kayakers doing their thing. The bus ride is a very civilised affair. The driver (the same one everyday) knows his regular passengers and he waits for them to run to the bus stop if they are late or stops mid way between bus stops as he passes them running along. In return everyone will echo “thanks driver” as they alight, and they even bring him gifts of chocolates or alcohol on their last commute before Christmas. By the time we pulled into the bus station on 19th December he had quite a stash. And even though I live at the beach in the suburbs my total commuted takes a total of 45 minutes.  


Life on two wheels

Living in Wellington we quickly realised that we didn’t really need a car and as we thought we were only going to be here for four months we thought that getting one would be more trouble that it is worth.  Wellington is small and the bus system is extensive. Having spent 8 months travelling through India and Vietnam on a motorbike Michael was craving two wheels, so we took the plunge and purchased a Suzuki DR650. We also purchased a tiny hiking tent and a couple of sleeping bags to pack onto the bike and we have been on a couple of camping trips on the bike; we had a couple of nights in Cape Palliser and a two weeks on the South Island. Having spent too many hours on the back of Michale’s bike I decided I should probably learn to ride myself and we bought a Suzuki GN150 for me. It is much smaller, and in my opinion much cooler and a great little bike to learn on. I passed by basic handling test and my theory test and can now be seen chugging along behind Michael on the streets of Miramar.  



Life far away from EVERYWHERE

New Zealand is far from everywhere, this means that I am far from home and friends and family. (NZ would be almost perfect if Australia and England could just switch places geographically) Transport cost means that the price fresh fruit and vegetables is pretty high for anything that cannot be home grown and has to be imported; everything has to come a long way to reach us. (Although why our local supermarket is importing kiwi fruit from Italy is beyond me) All goods that have to be imported are really expensive, from clothes and electronics to all the parts Michael has sourced for the bike (another reason to not collect too many possessions). 


Wifi is not great here either, it is slow and expensive, and one consequence of this is that Video Shops are still surviving here. Netflix who? One consequence of this is that we have developed a bit of a rental habit. What’s more, on a Tuesday it is $1 a disc so one of us will stop off at the video shop after work to get the weeks supply of films to box sets. This has lead to me introducing some classic British TV to Michael; he has enjoyed the Inbetweeners, An Idiot Abroad and even Miranda.. And while we are on the subject of British TV there are at least three channels dedicated to this subject, so if I chose to, which I don’t, I could keep up to date with Corrie.

Life as tourists

One advantage of living in a new city is that we still feel a little like tourists, although that feeling is fading by the day. We still get excited seeing the seals at the Red Rocks and have visited Te Papa on numerous occasions (including for Michaels Christmas Party) We joined the Little Zoo so much that we joined and often go and visit the chimps having their lunch.  

We also have a very long to-do list for travelling around the rest of the country, there is so much to see here from mountains and volcanoes to whale watching and star gazing and endless tramps.


Life in the roaring forties

At the moment (Easter) we are enjoying a bit of an Indian summer. Back in January there was a heat wave which was a heat wave and I would go as far as to say that there were two weeks that were actually too hot. This was very welcome as I read about the freezing temperatures back in London. In contrast to when I left England at the end of a sunny June last year and arrived in the middle of the winter in New Zealand. I would describe a Wellington winter as wet and windy (very windy, it is not called Windy Welly for nothing) the temperature never really dropped that low, however the sideways rain did prevent us from leaving the house on many a weekend. The climate here is not ideal, probably more similar to northern England. Oh and the sea is Freezing, I guess I will just have to move to Indonesia, or Fiji or Samoa!

Hobbit Life

The Hobbit is the reason I get to live in New Zealand, I have never been a fan or actually remotely interested in the books or films, and in fact in a former job the LORT DVDs caused me much stress.  I have to say, now I am living in New Zealand, I am very grateful to the little guy for bringing me here. I would go as far as to say that I even enjoy seeing the trolls and Gandalf Statue around the place and gotten mildly excited about seeing some dwarf costumes in our local cinema  and have even partaken in some LOTR/Hobbit Tourism, I trekked 19.4km past Mount Doom and walked the Paths of the Dead!



Life is good.