Friday 7 February 2014

A very grey Ninety Mile Beach and Cape Reinga

Having made the decision to travel to Paihia, I really have to travel to the northerly most point of New Zealand, Cape Reinga and its promise of seeing the Tasman Sea meeting the Pacific. I have had to book a tour to take this trip. The tour is excellent but at over NZ$100 I can already tell that my budget is going to take quite a hit in New Zealand. Due to its popularity, the tour had to be booked in advance and because of this I was unable to check on the weather forecast.  Which is why I am standing in the wind and torrential rain waiting for the tour bus to pick me up outside or the tourist office at 7am.  

As much as I touristing on mass like this, the bus driver/guide is excellent and there are quite a few solo travellers on the bus to talk to. We take the obligatory stop at the Kauri wood forest and traipse past some colossal trees in the rain and then it is onto the sand for the 50 mile drive up 90 mile beach
The ‘highlight’ of the trip is to be sand boarding down one of the huge dunes. When the driver asks whether we want a big dune or little dune, everyone, except me, of course opts for the big one. I have every intention of waiting this activity out but when every last person grabs a board and starts the climb up the hill I find by self following along with them, board in hand. It is peer pressure alone that gets me onto the board at the top, and I begin by descent, toes firmly in the sand to slow me down all the way. So much so that when I get to the bottom there is no nail varnish left on them and not much nail.   
All the way we have been hoping for a break in the weather, and when we stopped to do the sand boarding it did look as if it was brightening up however when we get to our final destination Cape Reinga the weather has completely closed in and we have a miserable walk down to the iconic lighthouse.  And as for the promise of seeing the Tasman meeting the Pacific, well I cannot even see a meter in front of my face let along see the sea or indeed what colour it is.
Oh well, I guess I am just going to have to make sure that I come back one day.