Monday 10 February 2014

Tokorangi Pa track - Whakarewarewa Forest.

A pleasant day spent ‘naked’ bussing from Phihia to Rotorua via Auckland, happily chatting to a Swiss girl I met on the Cape Reinga trip.
Another hostel error and I end up in a mixed dorm room much to my displeasure. Still on the bright side I am able to get lots of advise on things to do in Rotorua from my new roommates. Another NZ$60 spent and I have booked a tour for the next day.
As for today, I catch a bus out to the Redwood woods.  I am greeted with an information board listing 7 or 8 walks, I opt for the Tokorangi Pa track, an 11.5km/3hrs 30 mins walk.
After the walk past all the Redwoods and the initial assent up to 500 meters I continue to follow the purple arrows until they completely disappear and I am left to guess the route, luckily they do not disappear for too long as the track is completely deserted, most people choosing to take the shorter routes. Part of the walk is trough an area of pine trees that has recently been harvested and the landscape is bleak and impressive at the same time. Onwards to the site of an ancient Maori Pa and some less ancient carvings. And then the endless walk back to the visitors centre at the start. I still have some energy from somewhere and walk back to the hostel.