Friday 23 August 2013

Nha Trang

Vietnam is, crudly speaking, long and thin. The magority of toutists I have met are either travelling north to south (like me) or south to north. This means that touse travrlling in the opposite direction to you are full of useful (and some not so useful advice) on the things youshould see and places you shoud go. Almost everyone I have met to who has been to Nha Trang has told me to skip it. "Tacky, touristy, busy, expensive, a rip off" I decided to go anyway to find out for myself. It will break up the journey between Quy Nhon and Da Lat and I want to see for myself the contrast with Quy Nhon, where i struggled to find another tourist, and Nha Trang 135 miles away
By contrast everyone I met in Nha Trang seemed to love it there, probably to do with the beach, the night life and the huge water park. It is very touristy and there are some eyesore hotels along the strip and my oppinion was somewhere in between, not somewhere I want to spend a huge amour of time but fun for a day and interesting to see.

The beach is beautiful, and not nearly as crowded as I had been lead to believe.

There are lots of Russian tourists in Nha Trang and so a lot of the signs are in Russian as well as Vietnamese and English.
Along the seafront.
As I was only in Nha Trang for a day and I didn't want to just sit on the beach and fry I booked a City Tour. It was a bit of an spur of the moment and not the best... Note to self... Do more research next time.
The first stop was the Oceanograpgy institute.
The estuary of the river Cai
The second stop was the Ponaga Cham Towere.
Where there was also some traditional dancers
Swiftly onto the Lon Son Pagoda

Lunch was at 11.30 and then we were wisked to the Thap Ba Hot Spring Centre. I hadn't realise I was going to spend the whole afternoon sat luke warm mud, followed bu thermal mineral water and there was of course an additional fee nut I have to admit I did quite enjoy it.