Saturday 10 August 2013

Tulan Cave Tour

How the tour was sold...
The Tulan Cave system is an incredible system of caves that traverse under two mountains, one of which was only discovered last year. The caves have a river running through them, and much of this tour is spent swimming through the caves, a real experience in the dark and deep underground. There is much to explore and see, including waterfalls with the caves. The added bonus to this tour is the hike through the jungle to get there. This is a big day, quite challenging in places, and is one which you will not forget in a hurry!

So tentitivly booked.... but the day bedore I was due to go I found out that the tour hadnt run for two weeks for 'political reasons' so I thouht I was off thr hook. But then at the last minute it was all back on and my name was down so without really thinking about it I was on my way.
To start we had to carry the kit to the beginning of the treck...

Before we were given a lift in this cool little truck. It may be little but it can easily carry 14 people and a load of kit. And we a all happy as we don't know what we have let ourselves in for.
The kit is distributed and we head off towards the jungle.
Before I know it we are in a river and attempting to swim to the othe side. The river is fairly wide, about 15meters and because of all the resent rainfall the water level is really high ant it is flowing fast. This means that you have to swim upstream as you are swept down stream. We go in fast one after the other and I feel a mild panic but manage to keep level with the person which means I am on track to hit the bank on the other side in the right place. We scramble up the bank caked in mud but exilarated. We then have to trek on through the jungle and up the mountain in our soaking clothes which is axctually a blessing as it is so hot.
Not sure that orange is my colour.
The view back into the jungle where we have come from. You can just see the orange jackets of the second group.
The first cave, includes a 15m climb down a ladder and the second river swim, this time in the dark.
Our picnic lunch carried by the porter in the dry bag, never has bread cheese and tomatoes tasted so good. With dragon fruit for afters.

After lunch we have a play in the river.
At this point I stop taking pictures and leave my camera in the dry bag. More walking, climbing, swimming, caves hills, rocks, wet clothes. Oh.... and I fall over three times and get the most amazing bruise I have ever had.
So happy to get back to the jeep for a lift back to the van and our clean dry clothes. Even happier when we are rewarded with a coca cola.
It was a great day, even though I was slightly under prepared for how hard it would be.