Thursday 13 June 2013

Budapest - Officially now my favourite city outside London. (Sorry Edinburgh)

Budapest is a truly beautiful city. Everyone should visit.
I am staying in district VII, which includes the Jewish quarter. Parts of it look really run down, deralict in parts, but despite this the area feels really safe.

The hostel looks shocking from the outside but I couldn't have got a warmer welcome from the hostel owner, Norbert. He didn't have the best opening line though, his first words to me were, 'don't worry, Budapest is a safe city'
I nearly replied 'err... I wasn't worried, but now I am'

Great Synagogue - Nagy Zsinagoga
The second largest synagogue in the world


Liberty Bridge (Szabadsag hid)

Chain Bridge (Szechenyi lanchid), Rakoczi Bridge and Elizabeth Bridge

Another amazing market in an amazing building. Budapest Central Market Hall (Nagy Vasarcsarnok)


Definitely a place where locals shop, not a market just for tourists.

I walked climbed to the top of Gellert Hill (Gellert Hegy) on Buda, it is 771 ft high. (And was not happy to be greeted by a bus carrying all the sensible tourists at the top) Luckily the views were worth the climb.

As well as the statue, erected by the Sovjets to commemorate their victory over the nazis, the summit of Gellert Hill is also the location of the fortress, the Citadella.

The views from the top of Gellert Hill were breathtaking. (Unless I was just out of breath from the exhaustng climb up) views over the Danube, Castle Hill (Varhegy) and across the river to Pest.

Sand bags along the Danube being removed.

Very high water, you can see the road and tram lines disappearing into the river.

St. Stephen's Basilica (Szent Istvan Bazilika), Liberty Square (Szadadsag Ter) and Parliament (Orszaghaz)

This little statue was sitting on the railing of the Korzo - Danube Embankment (Dunakorzo) a lovely walk past restaurants, posh hotels, buskers and street performers. A nice place to watch the sun go down.
Monument to Imre Nagy/Remembrance Day The statue represents the revolution and Hungary's attempt to break free. He watches over Parliament from his spot on the bridge.


Budapest at dusk

More beer. I thought I would drink local but it turns out it is from the Czech Republic. At least I will know what to drink when I get to Prague.

Cute suburban train.

Heroes' Square - A vast square constructed in 1896 for the millennium of the Magyar Conquest of Hungary.

Norbert (hostel owner) recommended i go to Szechenyi Baths as it was, in his opinion, the best thermal baths in the city and there are quite a few to choose from. It was a scorching day, forecast 26 degrees. The pools were between 30 and 39 degrees, so didn't really provide the opportunity to cool off. Also the were pumpin 80's pop music around the outside pools, I have had Rick Astly in my head all evening as a result. It is of the largest spas in Europe with 18 pools, I didn't get to try them all as i spent most of the afternoon dosing in the sun.
I really wanted to see The Shoes on the Danube as I had read that they were incredibly moving. A very different war memorial, it represents those that died at the hands of the Nazi's at the end of WWII in a very real way. It was unfortunately covered in the flood water when I visited.