Saturday 29 June 2013

Минск

The main chose to go to Minsk was because it was directly between Warsaw, the last stop on my Interrail pass, and Moscow, the departure point on the Trans Siberian Trip.
I quickly discovered it is not a typical tourist destination. In fact it is not a tourist destination at all, at least for British people. First of all you need a visa, to get a visa you need a letter of invitation from a friend or relative in Belarus. (I don't have one of those) or a tourist agency (I don't have one of those either). So I got a 48 hour transit visa, this came at a cost, which meant that this was going to be an expensive 48 hours.
On trip advisor when you search for things to do in Minsk there are 27 suggestions. Compare this to my last city, Warsaw, which has 92 Suggestions and my next city, Moscow, which has 903 Suggestions.
The advantage of visiting a city with doesn't have a huge tourist industry is that no one is dictating what you see and you see the place as it actually is. Not a marketed and packaged version full of tourists.
Minsk has a feeling of space; the roads are wide and quiet, there are lots of trees and parks and there is no litter or graffiti.


It is Belarus independence day on 3rd July and there were lots of flags ready to mark the occasion.

Very few people in Minsk are English speaker and it made me realise how much I had come to reply on everyone being able to speak my language.
 We stopped in McDonald's to get out of the rain and study our newly purchased map and have 5200 Belarus Ruble Coke.

Probably should have studied the cryllic alphabet a bit to enable me to do my laundry.

Independence Square

The statue of Lenin in Independence Square
Church of Saints Simon and Helena also known as The Red Church in Independence Square

Victory Square

The Bolshoi Theatre 
While we were there three wedding parties turned up to have their wedding photos taken.

The local food market

Minsk Half Marathon

Hero City Monument

Svislach River

The monuments on The Island of Tears

A memorial to Belarusian soldiers who have died in foreign lands.

This Jewish memorial remembers the 5,000 Jews that were killed in one day near this spot in 1942.

The Stalinist style City Gates


Cathedral of the Holy Spirit

We stumbles across a little Jazz festival

I love the parking by this red car

A pink cinema

In 2014, Belarus are due to host the Ice Hocky World Championships

Gorky Park