Wednesday 19 June 2013

Hot, Hectic Prague

When I arrived at Prague Hlavni Nadr Station it was seriously hot, in fact it didn't cool down for my whole stay. Walking from the station to the Hostel I found myself searching out the shady side of the street. I really liked Prague but it was very noticeably overrun with tourists, so you had to look beyond them and seek out quieter spots.

The top of Wenceslas Square

View across to the castle district and St. Vitas Cathedral.

Views across the Vltara River

The famous Charles Bridge

Beautiful stone bridge from the 14th century. One of the only means of crossing the Vltava until 1841.

The Church of St. Nicholas and views in Lesser Town

Matthias Gate to Prague Castle
By luck rather than planning I was there to see the 10am changing of the guards. My plan was to be up early to avoid the heat and the crowds. I was out by 8.30am but I avoided neither.

Views across the city from the Castle District.


So many little windows

The gothic St. Vitus Cathedral in the castle complex



This is what it looked like inside the Cathedral. 100s of tourists taking pictures.

And I was one of them...

It was possible to find corners of the castle complex that wasn't so crowded.

The old town square huge, crowded and hot

Beautiful and eclectic buildings in the old town square. Including The Old Town Hall and Astronomical Clock.

Bubbles in the Old Town Square.

I found a really nice restaurant for lunch. It was full of locals and only served a few transitional dishes. I had.......and a 0.70€ beer.
Bramborove knedliky plnene uzenym masem, dusene Zelig, mastene cloukeu


So good that I went back the nest day and had.
Veplova plectrum ala bazant spenat, variace domacich knedlika.

John Lennon Wall

There were dozens of shops selling beautiful amber and garnet jewellery.

The Water Mill on Kempa

There were plenty of tacky tourist shops for that essential souvenir

Standing outsider St. Vitas Cathedral for 10 minutes I lost count of the number of tour groups traipsing by.Can you judge a tour by the prop you need to follow? If you can the I would go for one with a silk scarf or zebra print umbrella and not the water bottle one.